Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Remembering Seoul Trip

Not too long ago, my sister Helen TanSuk, friends Remy Wee and Ivy Tan and I went to Seoul, Korea for a vacation. It was kind of a promo package on a lean travelling season during the month of November. Our tour was so specially arranged that it comprised entirely only of the four of us and a chaperon travel guide. Indeed, It was one of the most wonderful vacations I had with friends.
But silly me, in preparation for my travel, I was half expecting, subconsciously for a winter scene. The four of us ladies brought only one luggage each. We lugged our own heavy weights through different hotels each day. My luggage was the biggest of all but thanks to the sturdy rollers and good pavements and efficient help of our tour van driver, it was all a piece of cake. No sweat! 
First day upon arrival, it was evening time. We checked in at a hotel and were brought to a small cozy restaurant for supper. I jotted down what I ate. It was sundubu -spicy hot tofu with vegetable mix, and steam rice cooked in stoneware. There were lots of appetizing side dishes, of which my favorite was the kimchi. I felt so uneasy using stainless chopsticks. I finished my steam rice and side dishes but couldn't get to finish the bowlful of sundubu. After supper, we were brought back to the hotel to rest.

"The night is still young." I said. Still feeling pretty hyper.
I suggested to walk the neighborhood and so we did. After which we walked around different neighborhoods almost every night in different destinations.
The first walk took us by surprise. Although it was night time, the streets of Korea were pretty safe and well lighted. Along the road, we saw line of tall upright trees covered with yellow flowers.
"What kind of tree is that full-blooming with yellow flowers?"
Curiosity led us to go nearer. Upon approached, we were extremely surprised that they were not flowers at all but yellow leaves. Immediately it dawned to me that these were fall leaves. I began to realize that I was witnessing autumn in Korea. What an amazement. My thoughts went immediately to my husband who had so wanted to see autumn in USA but the nearest to autumn we got there was in early August, and it was still pretty green. In Korea, I got to see my first Fall, without really expecting it. I was so naive or rather ignorant or uninformed.:)
The beautiful tree which we would come to see more often, I learned was called the white poplar tree. Since some of its leaves were scattered around the floor, I quickly picked a few good ones lying on the ground to take as souvenir. Then I saw Remy and Ivy bent down to pick more. Haha!  It would be crazy for people to see us four ignoramus ladies picking leaves along the streets. So I straightened up and watched them gathered more leaves as we walked along the road. Yet whenever my friends stopped picking, I would quickly bend down to pick mine again. How hilarious!!!
I was awed struck by the beauty of fall, so cold and different, although it was kind of dry and late already during our visit. Another tree which gave so much color was the small-leafed maple tree. In comparison, it was reddish. I took some samples home too and pressed them in a small book.

We had a good seven wonderful days in Korea:
- We went to Everland,
- Went on Chungju Lake Cruise and danced together with all the ladies inside the boat,
- Had a private Karaoke night after supper in a resort village,
- Went climbing along the high steps of a big beautiful cave. The heights scared me so!
- Almost signed in for a hot spa which we had to all go nude. Luckily I did not pay-up before entering. " See first. See first. " I insisted. The attendant at the lobby allowed us to get in, but we all backed-out after seeing all the nakedness inside :) Haha I didn't even get close. I was only at the door step, couldn't bear to see the nudity. I told the attendant "I can not!". He was so surprised. "You can not?!"
Haha...and many many more funny, exciting and good travel experiences to cherish and remember!!! Thank God for the wonderful chance and opportunity. With God's blessing, I hope to see Autumn again with my husband and children. Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment