Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

an earthquake story

I am still feeling a little dizzy after a mild earthquake few seconds ago. Cotabato is not unknown to tectonic shocks. We got pointers not to run down the stairs during a tremor, better to go upstairs instead. Of late I received a reminder from an internet source, not to hide under a table, bed or door jamb for they are collapsible structures that can pin you down. The email said it would be safer to duck beside some solid structures. I think that's true.
I myself experienced a big quake in Cotabato City on August 16, 1976 just few minutes past midnight. The harrowing experience was vivid because I was a victim of that earthquake. That fateful day, our house com store and residence LCT #1 collapsed carrying my eldest son Roy who was exactly 1 year, one month and one day old inside the rubbles. Infact there were several other persons inside that collapsed building. There were a 90 year old grandmother, my mother-in-law, Johnny- a young male relative, my son and his yaya and 4 househelps.( 9 people in all ) My room didn't collapse with the rest of the house though. When the big and long quakes finally stopped and my husband and I realized that half of the house went down, for a moment we thought that everybody died including my infant son. My husband Lucas could not see a thing with his contact lenses thrown away in a case and all darkness consumed the night. The only thing I could think and do was pray. I prayed the " Lord's Prayer " out loud, once,  twice and on and on while groping for a way out of the room and the building. The Almighty God was merciful though. He saw to it that nobody died that night. Johnny, the male relative somehow was able to climb up from the rubble together with the househelps. The main stairway was not destroyed enabling my husband and I to go down to the street. The street was empty and strewn with broken glasses. I cried for help. "Saklolo, saklolo, tulungan ninyo kami dito". Roy's yaya heard my call and responded. Thank God, Roy was safe in her arms. I begged Johnny to go in through the broken windows and get them out. Soon, all of them including my mother-in-law and the old grandmother were rescued by Johnny Tan. Everybody was saved including a maid who was pinned down by a building block. Yet a part of my youth died that year, after going through that devastation night and surviving 6 months of rebuilding back our normal lives.

4 comments:

  1. Scary.. glad the quake was just mild. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda knew I was trapped in the rubble, but I never knew the full story before. Thank God everyone escaped alive that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I really thank God for it. And I learned a lot more about giving up comfort and material things for family and safety :)

    ReplyDelete