Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

paranoia

After typhoon ondoy, I have been musing lately. Although cotabato has never been directly hit by a typhoon, yet we are not immune to natural or man made calamities here. I have had my own experiences of big flood, earthquakes, fires, theft at night, bombings, war and etc that I have now acquired paranoia behaviors such as:
I check and double check the door locks,
I close the window shutters at the onset of rain at night,
I unplug unnecessary wire connections before I go to sleep,
I have flashlights inside drawers,
I stashed candles and matches even inside the bathrooms,
I keep fire extinguishers in my kitchen and one of the bedrooms,
I try to replenish as oftenly my food stock and water supply;
basic medicines like paracetamol and first aids are kept handy....lest my love ones are caught in harm's way and left empty handed, yet still sometimes I personally get caught unprepared in many ways. (Believe me if I tell you that I even have three life vests in one of my dressing shelves in Manila - those were from our Butanding excursion to Sorsogon.hehe)

And yesterday, after having heard about the earthquakes and tsunami in Samoa and Indonesia and another typhoon coming to the Philippines....Last night I called up my children  and instructed them about safety measures at home and in work places. Before I went to sleep I checked to see whether my husband's and my second pair of eyeglasses were tucked inside the drawers of our night tables. I also recharged the portable fluorescent light and my cellphone too. What a paranoid!
This morning, I am really happy to have waken up to sunshine and good weather. May God protect us from all harm and danger. Take care everybody and keep safe.

2 comments: