Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Imelda's 70th Birthday

Yesterday, March 13, 2015 was my sister Imelda's 70th birthday. Her children sprang a surprised birthday party for her. In full attendance of course were her family, her husband's relatives, her Neo Catholic spiritual group, her siblings, her nieces and nephews and the ever supportive Go cousins (from Data Street). The event was held at Barbara's Restaurant, Intramuros, Manila. We were told to be at the venue at 7:30PM, before my sister could arrive at 8:00PM.

So we all made preparations for my sister Theng (Imelda's) special day. My son Emil could not come to the party since he was working late on Friday evening, but my twins Martha and Marion promised to come home early after work, so we can get to the party on time. I prepared a gift basket of snack items composed of long life noodles, K.Roger's cookies, UCC instant coffee, Lyon's tea bags, honey, Swiss Miss dark chocolate cocoa drink and Ritz toasted chips. I put them all together and wrapped the present in red cellophane sheets tied with red ribbons. I placed my well wrapped gift on the center table at the sala. Not long after, that day around 4:30 PM, I suddenly heard my sister Theng's voice downstairs calling me to come down from my room. I did not know she was coming to my home, so I was taken aback. I was instantly apprehensive lest she might have seen her present at the sala and took a hint about the surprise party. But I came down calmly. Apparently she brought me two siopao to eat. She was also thirsty and asked for a glass of water to drink. Surprisingly I was very composed. I told her it's Friday and I wasn't eating meat. She answered. "We're all old and exempted from the practice already." "No," I said. " It is still necessary." Then she said. "Anyway, you can keep it and eat it tomorrow."
On her way out, I handed her my gift. "It's so timely you're here. I have prepared a gift for you" I said. " I was thinking of bringing it to you tomorrow but since you're here, I'll give it to you now, so you can take it home. Happy birthday!"
She replied. "I must look crazy. I come here as though asking for a gift."
"Of course not. The gift is really ready to be given." I said.
When she left, I quickly called up my sister Helen for damage control. I narrated the encounter, but Helen thought I reacted quite all right. Theng would not think otherwise.

My girls did come home early. We had to move fast because we can never estimate the traffic in Manila.  Our reliable family driver drove us pass-through relatively smooth traffic and we arrived at Barbara's early enough. Cousins Nelly, Adele, Gina, Sharica were already seated but non of Imelda's children were there yet. I sat temporarily with my cousins to catch up....then the celebrant children Greg and Donna came. They quickly went to change into red birthday clothes. But Imelda's eldest son Dennis and his family weren't there yet, so were all my other siblings. The few of us were all hoping that they would come soon enough. While Nelly Adelle and I continued to talk, Abraham Co, the husband of Nelly came and sat beside her. As it was still early, we cousins continued to catch up with one another. And so while we were talking.....all of a sudden we heard somebody said almost in a whisper. "Why are you here?" Clearly it was the voice of my sister Imelda. We were all taken aback, turned around and there she was! We were astonished to see her inside the restaurant earlier than expected. She came in all alone by herself. She thought she was going to meet up with her children for dinner. She was surprised to see me there. She even held her finger to wave with her question. "Why are you here?" Initially I did not know how to react. Then I laughed aloud, called her name "Theng" and greeted her a happy birthday. Nelly went forward to kiss her and everybody else followed suit. I began singing happy birthday and then the restaurant blasted the birthday song. Soon after I began laughing my heart out. Too happy for all the surprises. Happy for my sister Theng!!! Hahaha! It was all a pleasant surprise for everybody.

After the meal, the audience were asked to say something to the celebrant. This was my short message....
"You know the celebrant Imelda or Theng Theng is my sister. She is the eldest in the family and I am the youngest sister. For me, I always consider her as my second mother. Imelda is always very caring. She is always concerned about us, brothers and sisters. She is also very forgiving with regards to my temperament and to my many outbursts. What can I say to her on this her 70th birthday?....Theng, I wish you a happy birthday. May you have many more birthdays to come. Have a long, happy and blessed life. May God bless you always! Happy birthday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment