Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wanton Thoughts

These few days I have so many frightening thoughts and also some insights to ponder.

First of all, because I again almost caused a fire outbreak at home because of an unattended home cooking. I was steaming my siomai (dumplings) and while waiting for the water to boil, I went to play on my piano. I got so engrossed on practicing a new piece that I forgot about the double boiler in progress on the stove. After sometime, I smelled something burning. I jumped out of my seat, ran to the kitchen and quickly turned off the stove. The bottom layer of the steamer that was supposed to contain the water was totally dried out. The cloth that I laid out on the second surface of the double boiler (so that the dumplings won't stick on the pan) had patches of burnt spots. The burned cloth emitted the odor. If not for the smell, things would have gotten worst. That unattended cooking almost caused a burst of fire in the kitchen. In my stupor, I poured tap water on the heated dried out aluminum pan. My maid admonished me that it will cause the pan to warp, and indeed it did. All of my fault and stupidity! The dumplings though were not totally lost. They were still moist but they had burnt after taste. Despite everything, my in-laws, my husband and I consumed them all.

I got lingering shocks after the incident. It made me think about all of the other missed accidents I almost had. I had been reckless and careless. I thanked my guardian angels for protecting me and my family. I said a prayer of thanks. Many things could have been worst. I must be more careful. I am terribly sorry for being so careless.

Then this recent outbreak of battle in Zamboanga City between the muslims rebels and the government troops. It has been 5 to 6 days already since the standoff but things have not been solved until now. Many people are afraid that it will spill over to Cotabato. Although I am confident that Cotabato is safe, yet I lay awake at night thinking of the worst. To add to my apprehension, two nights ago, I watched this History channel entitled "After Armageddon" and it scared me to think that human beings can be so ruthless even in the brink of calamity and at the threshold of extinction. Contrary to that documentary film though, I did not experience such a scenario during the 1976 big earthquake in Cotabato City. I agreed there were no electricity nor water on the tap but stores were open the next day for people to buy medicine and food. Afraid of strong after shocks, the Tan families slept on a truck parked on an open space.(Tires party embedded on the ground due to the movement of the earth). People slept on the streets and houses were not locked because homes and doors were destroyed. Everything was in a disarray but fortunately there was no looting or robbery. Maybe people were better then? But that was more than 35 years ago.

Then I begin to think about my children, those who are still unmarried. I hope and pray that they will not have to be so all alone. Everyone of them need to have a wife or husband to take care of each other. I don't want them to worry about us here and I pray that they will all be safe.

Then I say to myself.....We are always afraid something bad is going to happen, why not anticipate of good and beautiful things to happen instead. God is beautiful and good and I am sure, he wants us to be happy and safe too. God will bless us all and He will make good and beautiful things happen to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment