Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Plans Thwarted....

This 2020, my husband and I planned to do a lot of travelling.....
 
First, we bought tickets for May as early as 2019, together with our daughter Martha to go to New Zealand for my daughter Marion’s (Martha’s twin) graduation. My daughter Marion went to New Zealand three years ago to further her studies on disaster management. Since this would be our first time to go the country, we also arranged a tour from Auckland to Wellington. We did plan this trip to visit Marion towards the end of her studies, so as not to distract her from her many works and commitments. But unfortunately this covid disease side steps all our plans.
But God is tremendously kind to us, and the good news is, my daughter Marion successfully defended her thesis on March 20 (on her birthday). And she was also further nominated for the university dean’s list. Yay! This was great. I did not mind that our flight to New Zealand was cancelled, nor minded that Marion’s graduation ceremony was not going to happen. I was simply overjoyed by the mere fact that she had passed and was recognized. Thank you dear Lord! The most important thing is she has already hurdled her doctorate degree and has an on going research work with the university. I don’t mind not being able to travel to New Zealand. Thank you dear Lord. Do keep her safe always.

Secondly, I booked a flight to Manila with my husband in February to attend the wedding of my niece Jacy and at the same time to visit my daughter Martha in Manila. But two days before my intended flight, I personally cancelled our trip because I was scared to take the plane ride with an unknown virus. 

Third, thinking that things would become better by March, I planned to go to Manila before March 20 with my husband to visit Martha, on her birthday and to attend the engagement party and ceremony of my nephew Miguel, subsequently his wedding to take place in September this year. But the contamination of the virus was getting out of hand and President Duterte declared a community quarantine for Metro Manila and the whole of Luzon starting March 15. My brother Wilson also cancelled the engagement party a week before the event because the parents of the intended bethroded girl were sick with suspicion of the dreaded disease. Thankfully they recovered, the father from pneumonia and the mother from mild symptoms. Joyce the fiancée of my nephew was tested negative. While thankfully, somehow prior to the engagement, Miguel had an earlier distancing, due to some Chinese custom of not meeting his girlfriend for 15 days prior to the engagement proper. Thank God for sparing and protecting everybody. Thank you O Lord.

Fourth, my eldest sister Imelda’s (Theng Theng) husband passed away from a lingering illness on March 11 in Manila. I did not go to Manila to condole and console my sister, because again I was scared to take the plane ride. I spoke to her over the phone, and reiterated that she should take care of herself. As you know my sister is now suffering from Alzheimer. After the burial of her husband, she went to stay with her sister-in-law for few days. Unfortunately, her sister-in-law did not know how to handle her, and my sister Imelda’s (Theng Theng) son, quickly and conveniently transferred my sister to a senile home, during this time of the covid lockdown, without consulting us siblings. We the siblings want to take her out but this covid lockdown and scare is hampering our efforts. We can not even visit her to know her real condition. I talked to her once but briefly, and twice with her nurse. We have no way of really knowing her current situation. I hope this covid ends soon, so we can get to visit her, or take her home to any of our own siblings’ houses.

Fifth, early on, since last year, my husband Lucas, my daughter Martha and I talked about going to USA sometime around the fall season, in August or September; to visit foremostly my son Roy in Seattle, and then fly to Virginia to see my husband’s brother, Dr. Domingo Tan and his wife Jackie. The Tans intended to do a small family reunion in Virginia. We will be meeting there with My husband’s second eldest brother Dr. Antonio Tan and his wife Peckha from Canada, and younger sister Lehua Lim from Los Angeles. But all these are forsaken now, because we have to stay home, stay put and not endanger our lives, nor other people lives as well. When this shall all be over and behind us, I think I will be scared to travel. O Lord have mercy us and the whole world.


No comments:

Post a Comment