Pages

Friday, May 25, 2018

Domestic Woes

I literally grew up with househelps all my life, both in Cotabato and Manila. I leave my house in the morning (ie) with upheaval bedroom, cluttered bathroom, hamper full of dirty clothes, and I arrive home to a neat and clean and sparkling abode. When I get home, the dinning tables are set and meals ready to eat. I live a comfortable life with cook, nanny, cleaners, helpers, etc. But maids do not stay long. I constantly change househelps every two or three years. Most of them leave to get married, few look for better employment. I don't fault them for wanting a better life. But I do get so flustered when they leave. I simply can not do with out them.

Few helpers I got, came at the age of 16 (mostly older). I trained them for housework. They broke my things, ruined my clothes. I scolded them for not being focus at work. If they played the radio to the fullest volume at work, it was all right with me. My maids are busy mostly in the morning. After cleaning up the kitchen and dining table after lunch, I allow them to have siesta in the afternoon, or watch tv at night at the sala. They are off on Sunday afternoon and come back home at 8 in the evening. After staying with me for one year, I even allow them to go home for few weeks vacation. I pay for their half fare travel or even full fare sometimes. There is only one thing, and one thing I abhor, and I do tell them this from the beginning of their employment; that I do not like itchy palms and fingers, meaning, I do not like things to get lost. I do not like thief at home! Mind you I do notice the things that are misplaced.

I have employed both good and bad maids at different times. Good maids are loyal, they take care of my things, they ask permissions to go out, they come home on time. Bad maids are those who came in for purposes of looking for boyfriends and they get wild once they got one pursuing them. Some maids are intelligent, after leaving me, they go to school/they get to work in business establishment or even go abroad for employment. Those who left me in good standing, I have only the best wishes for them.

Currently I am in dire need of hiring new maids. One for Cotabato and one for Manila. One of my better maids here in Cotabato has left me to get married. The one in Manila is going on leave because her mother is sick. Help, help, help....I need help. And I need help soon because I am going out of town. Oh Mama Mary, please help me get good helpers who will stay with me for a long while. Help, help, help....I need help!
..................

Updates:
1. A new maid came to my abode in Cotabato City on June 4. She is 18 and learning the ropes. Thank you Blessed Mother for helping.
2. In Manila though, at my second home where my children are staying, Karen who had been my helper for 6 years, went home to tend to her family because her mother was sick. I was not able to get extra help in Manila to replace her. Karen promised to come back though on July 2. In the meantime, Runalin, the remaining maid in Manila is coping up with all the work at home. I went to Manila for three weeks and I tried to help out with the chores. Thank God for Runalin. She is very able. Thank God for giving me good househelps. (But Runalin is going home to her family next year) I pray, may they all stay long in my employment. Thank you! Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment