Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Meeting the Pope

Don't be misled by the title for I was not able to meet Pope Francis, nor was I able to see St. Pope John Paul II, the two times he came to the Philippines. 

My topic today though is about meeting Pope Paul VI, the first Roman Pontiff who came to the Philippines - That was a long time ago in 1970. I was then a college student studying in Manila. I loved my pope but I was never an avid follower of personalities, aside from the fact that I really had this aversion to big crowds. So when classes were suspended for the pope's visit, my sister Helen and I, instead, thought of watching a movie at down town Avenida. From Quezon City, we took the jeepney to go to Avenida where most of the cinemas were located. But when we were on Espana St. near Quiapo Church, there was a road block and jeepnies were not allowed to proceed. We therefore stepped down to walk, it just being a short distance to our destination. We thought of walking passed through Quiapo church, crossing Carriedo Street and then to the movie houses. Along our way though, we were met by a line of steel railings blocking the side of the streets. Few people were beginning to line up along the railings. We were curious, why? Then it suddenly dawned to us that the pope was going to pass by. In just a few minutes, I could already see him approaching. In few seconds, and he was there in front of us, standing and blessing the people from his top down vehicle. From our vantage, without thinking, I raised my right hand to reach out. He was so near and I saw him very vividly. Although there were not very many people, yet there was great elation. I was overcame with joy. Indeed I felt God had greatly blessed me. My sister Helen and I were so lucky to see Pope Paul VI.(And without so much attempt at that.)

I wonder, among a sea of many people these days, where upon can I ever catch a glimpse of our very recent pope. Still, I do continue to love my church and the vicar of my Christ. Thank you Pope Francis for coming to the Philippines this January 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment