Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

nightlight

I hate to sleep in total darkness, so sometimes in the 90's I started using a small 'nightlight' lamp. (This so called 'nightlight' is a mini plastic florescent liked thing that you plug in directly to the outlet.) It gave a soft glow that enabled me to go to the bathroom and/or drink my glass of water without switching on the room's incandescence. In fact I think I had been using a third replacement already ever since.
Last night, Lucas and I came home from a masonic party. Before I went to sleep, I switched on the small nightlight. I had a real good sleep because I was happy and tired from ballroom dancing. I was suddenly roused however at 3:30 AM from a bursting sound that came from the wall where the nightlight was plugged in. The sound was quite loud for Lucas got up at the same time too. I was the first to stand up though, and I saw a red glow from the outlet. When I got nearer, there was a small fire already forming.
"It's already burning! It's already burning" was all I could say.
I ran back and forth, not knowing what to do. I was thinking of getting the pitcher of water near the bed and throwing it at the fire, but my husband was more handy at hand. He used his blanket and beat at the fire hard. One quick big hard blow not only snapped the fire out but it also threw the nightlight off the floor. The wall was a little charred. One leg of the male plug was still stuck at the outlet but the danger was over.
Thank goodness, I don't use curtains in my room and the concrete wall is as plain and flat without appliances or decorations nearby. We are wondering why the circuit breaker did not trip though. Yet, after all the mussing of the near fire incident early this morning, there is only one thing I can say. "Thank God for keeping us safe."
Now, I am writing this blog for all of you to take precaution with your nightlights and sockets and plugs. Please unplug unnecessary electrical connections when you go to bed or leave the house.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! what a scary experience. Good thing both you and papa woke up. Thank God both you and papa (and the rest of the household) are safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Thank God you are safe :) Yes! will unplug appliances...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the water heater, the electric fan, the computers and also tv connections etc etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bw, never throw water on electrical fires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, your pa said so too. I had second thought about doing that, hence I ran back and forth, not knowing what to do. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must repeat the advice though for everybody to know....................
    " Never throw water on electrical fires!"

    ReplyDelete