Pages

Friday, September 1, 2006

September

Another week has gone and another month is here. There are  lots of ocassions to celebrate in September but I shall talk about a September 3 which seems not too long ago.


It was the birthday of my Uncle Ernesto Go. 


I was a college first year student then, staying at the Holy Family Dormitory along Governor Forbes St.(Manila). My sister Imelda came to pick me up in the afternoon. We were to attend the 40th birthday of Uncle Ernesto. It was my first big party in the city. Uncle Ernesto in his 40's was a  young, handsome, self-made, already successful rich man. I recall Lauriat supper was specially ordered, cooked and served in his residence. Jovial relatives and business friends were abound. It was a high society gathering somewhat liked in the movies. I was so excited when my sister Imelda handed me a stem glass and poured something from a bottle.


"Take a sip, now you can tell your friends that you have tasted champange." she said. 


I remember sitting on a round table with relatives. When Auntie Lucy, the gracious hostess came over to the table and ask if the guests were okay, a certain Mr. Neri jokingly said " You know Lucy, they said life begins at forty." at which Auntie Lucy replied almost immediately.   "Don't teach him ". Everybody howled with laughter at the smart retort, cousin Henry most specially. He said it was a brilliant reply.


Uncle Ernesto will be celebrating another milestore this year, but I would not be in Manila to attend. I usually do whenever I am around. Happy birthday Soyku!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment