Pages

Friday, August 16, 2019

Busy July......

These were the chain of events last July........
1. I went to Manila with my husband on July 2 for his forthcoming Chinese 80th birthday celebration to be held in Metro Manila on July 12, 2019.
2. All my children arrived Manila on different dates to be with us at my second home in Manila.  They all took their leave of absences from work. I was the chief planner of the occasion. All my siblings were informed before hand and they too were in Manila to support me and Lucas for the big event.
3. Understandably, among the siblings of Lucas, Luna was the only one who could come, together with his wife Tina and their children and their spouses. Lucas' eldest brother Lucio and his wife Conchita were left in Cotabato holding the fort, meaning to watch the the store, so we could spend the whole month of July fully.
3. My husband Chinese 80th birthday party was to be held at  Crowne Plaza Hotel on July 12, 2019. Aside from the party event, we were also going to put up Lucas’ paintings on exhibit. Everyone helped in one way or another. But my daughter Martha was my foremost contact since she was the only one who was living in Manila. We could not have done it without her. Kudos to Martha! But surely, I do also appreciated everyone's help, effort and contribution.
4. Before the birthday celebration,  I did plan for the family to vacation at Mannhann Resort on July 6, 7 and 8 for two nights and three days in Tagaytay. Some of my children like Roy and Tom had not visited the place as of yet. Thanks to the Chua’s family for the hospitable accommodation. In Tagaytay, upon my invitation, some of my siblings came to chill with us at the classy private resort. My invitation to my siblings was in acknowledgement of their sincere support to me and my family. The place was really big enough to accommodate more people. I took charge of feeding the whole bunch. I brought along two househelps and one driver to help. Thanks again to the Chua's family for the accommodation.
5. Everybody was excited because aside from the birthday party event, we were also preparing for our forthcoming family trip to Taiwan, from grandpa, grandma to the grandkids. All eleven of us in the family. That would be on July 14, two days later after the birthday.
6. I was the busiest person in charged. Hahaha. I wanted things to go my way. I tried to stay cool. But how can anybody stay cool with all the comings and goings happening around.
7. One of the hullabaloos of our own making was the practice of line-dance and ballroom dancing at my brother’s Jun place. We hired three professional dance instructors to the grand event to initiate dance participation. But to ensure that everybody could pick up some steps during the occasion, I requested a night of practice beforehand with our main contact. That was two nights prior. Thanks to my sister-in-law Jean for lending us their place and for being a gracious hostess to me, my family and siblings.
7. The eve before the birthday, I was calling up more friends to confirm their attendance and adding more people to my roster of guests. At home, my son Roy, and the girls namely Martha, Marion, Angel and Suiling were busy getting Lucas’ art work ready for exhibition. Gosh, there was so much work to be done. I hoped everything goes well according to plan.
8. The morning of July 12, I woke up early to prepare the family breakfast. My husband Lucas, myself and all family members partook of the traditional birthday noodles and hard boiled eggs for longevity.
9. After lunch, the girls checked-in early at the hotel for hair and make up. The boys followed suit in the afternoon. How lucky for them boys not needing any hair and make up done. Hehehe.
10. At seven in the evening, the one man art exhibit of Lucas was officially opened at the party venue, at Ballroom Ruby-B, Crowne Plaza Hotel. Lucas wore a rose buttoneer on his lapel pinned by his children. It was his special night.
11. Guests started to arrive as early as seven pm despite the Friday’s traffic jam and bad weather. I really do appreciate everybody's kind gesture and effort to be early that evening.
12. The program began at 8pm. My second son Tomas emceed for the party. He also gave the welcome speech. He gave a touching tribute to his father, opening up on why the children thought of putting up their father’s paintings on exhibit. Kudos to Tom! He did pretty well hosting the event.
13. After the remarks, was my next number. I sang a song entitled “My Cup Runneth Over” as a serenade to my beloved husband. In between the song, I also danced briefly with Lucas. Bragging aside, I could say, I did a good rendition. (Of course with the help of a good pianist, and violin and flute accompaniment.) I dare say my song made a few people teary eyed that night. Hehehe. 
14. After the serenade, the band played a lively birthday song. I guided Lucas to the birthday cake and all family members gathered around us. The song continued ........."....Happy birthday to you!” And the birthday candles were blown. (Hurrah!)
15. My youngest son Emil gave a thanksgiving prayer and said the grace before meal, after which the 8 course lauriat dinner ensued. 
16. Before the dinner was over, dessert wine was served and poured into the wine glasses. Roy my eldest son gave a toast to his father, saying how his father has inspired him. He said that if he were not into computer, he would also want to become an artist too. He narrated briefly how his father has influenced him and how he has been emulated by his father’s examples in life.
16. Desserts were fresh fruits and cold red bean pudding. As people continued to enjoy their desserts. The emcee called upon the family members to the dance floor for the Tan family line dance presentation. The dance “Good Times” was  choreographed by my daughter-in-law Suiling. It was a happy, lively dance that we all enjoyed dancing. Our guests were simply amazed that even my grandchildren Dylan and Yuri, even Roy and Emil and yours truly gamely performed the cheerful number. Hahaha.
17. After the family line-dance, the three dance instructors whom we hired, took over the dance floor. They initiated and taught the community group dance, followed by different variations. The dance instructors made them easy to follow. It was well participated by others.
18. Ballroom dancing ensued. The music played all night, yet with a minor accident that took place with my sister Theng.. After the minor scare, but which everything turned out all right, we went back to the dance floor. The three dance instructors were dancing with many of our guests, and other couples came forward too, to dance and enjoy the evening away.
19.  The contract time for the party was supposedly to end at 11pm, but the family asked for extension from the management. People were still lingering around the art exhibit and guests still dancing. The party lasted until almost twelve midnight. After it was over, I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God for the nice and successful birthday celebration. I hope the guests enjoyed it as much as we did.
20. My husband Lucas and I slept at the hotel for the night. The next morning, my twins Martha and Marion picked us up from the hotel. Everybody rested at home that particular day to prepare for an early trip next morning to Taiwan.
21. We left for Taiwan in the early morning of July 14, 2019. We spent 5 days and four nights in Taipei. Luxuriantly, my family of 11 people were accommodated in one big tourist bus all to ourselves. Now in Taiwan with the tourist guide in-charge, I could relax much. Alas, Taiwan was hotter than the Philippines, but we made do and enjoyed our vacation to the max. We ate good food, went sight seeings, stayed in comfortable hotels and shopped. Taiwan is big on consumerism. I could post about our travels in a separate post.
22. After 5 days, we flew back home. The family arrived Manila safely in the evening of July 18,2019.
23. Two days later, Roy left Manila for USA on July 20. Tom and Emil and the rest of the Cebu contingent of in-laws and grandchildren left for Cebu on July 21. Marion would be leaving on the 29th for New Zealand and Lucas and I to come home to Cotabato on August 1. Martha would be the only one left in Manila. I wish her well. She had to go back to work and she would be tremendously busy at work. I thank God for a wonderful family time, well spent together. Thank God for keeping us safe and bringing us back home to our respective places.
24. Before coming home to Cotabato however, I wanted to do some house repair. I did not want Martha to be left alone to do all the work when we were gone, so I started by getting hyper again, taking charge of home repairs here and there. My husband Lucas was but only too eager to help me.
25. Alas! Lucas had an accident. He fell down on an uneven road pavement near home. He hit his head on the pavement and cut his forehead. The cut on his forehead was big and it was bleeding all over his face. His hands were bruised and his knee scraped. My twins and I brought him to the er. I prayed and prayed so hard. I hope the injuries were not serious. At the hospital, he was submitted for ct scan and x-rays. He received 4 stitches of sutures on his forehead. My Blessed Mother was with us. She was holding all our hands and keeping us together during this time. Thankfully, the Lord is merciful. The scan and x-rays readings found him all right. Lucas was released that same day with instructions on how to care for his wounds and hematoma. Lucas looked awful, aside from the cut, he had a big bump too on the upper part of the forehead and black bruises underneath his eyes. We were grateful though that the injuries were not worse than it looked.  I verily thank God for giving us his protection. O Lord keep us safe. "O God, heal us and we shall be whole; save us and we shall be safe. In you we hope, in you we trust." That untoward incident happened on July 27.
26.  On July 29, Marion left for New Zealand. Lucas came with us to the airport to send her off. Bon voyage Marion. Finish well your dissertation and see you soon again.
27. Lucas and I left Manila on August 1, 2019. His head and face injuries were looking better but now he was feeling pain in his left knee. At home, we need to nurse his knee back to normal again. Currently, he is doing some rehabilitation exercises under the care of a physical therapist. I hope and pray he recovers completely well from the fall. "O Lord, heal him and he shall be whole, save him and he shall be safe. In you we hope. In you we trust." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment