Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Turning Points.....

In 2011, when I turned 60 years old in November, together with my best friend Imelda Bugayong who was also a zodiac fellow scorpion; despite us turning around the milestone age corner, we seemed to be the giddiest girlfriends at hand. We had just recently received our Quezon City Senior ID cards and booklets that entitled us to discounted grocery items, movie passes, medicines, dining and parking benefits. Together, we went to Shangrila Mall, and at their basement food center to try out our newly acquired ids. We were literary laughing about our new acquisitions, our age and everything else. Looking back, both of us seemed to be the happiest senior citizens ever. Hahaha. During that time, at 60 years old, I was not really feeling the age yet. I may not have looked my age either. Hehehe.

When I was 64, I began to feel my age. My shoulder began to ache, my legs and my back also. At one point, I was brought to the er because of unbearable lumbar pain. After which I started keeping some pain pills inside my medicine pouch, fearful of another episode. Knock on the wood but it has not reoccur yet. Maybe due to the fact that I have been doing some stretching exercises and dancing at home, and  tai chi also. Well at 64, I was still wearing heels and could still walk fast. But there were tale tell signs of aging, of sagging skin, eye bags, thinning hair and blurry eyesights and yes, cataract.....

Now I am 67 years old. I just had my left eye cataract operated. After the operation, I could plainly see myself in the mirror. Gosh I look old. I feel old. These days, I have restricted myself from carrying heavy load, bending and squatting. I still have to resume my dancing and exercises. I hope I can go back to my old frame of mind......to keep myself young at heart all the time. “Heal me, O God, and I shall be whole, save me and I shall be safe. In you I hope. Amen. “

No comments:

Post a Comment