Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Growing Old......

Growing old is such a scourge. I will be 67 years old next month and I am feeling lousy. I have dry eyes and cataracts, dry and sagging skin, ear aches, tooth aches. I have pain on my left shoulder and muscle pain on my left leg. My head is throbbing. I have headaches lately. All these aches and pains are located on the left side of my body. Two weeks ago,  I was scared lest I have some kind of a mild stroke. Since last week, I increased the dosage of my hypertensive medicine. Instead of taking 5mg in the morning, I added another 5 mg after supper. This increase of medication I got from my old internist long ago. But still I need to consult my new doctor in Manila and I plan to go to Manila soon for a check up.

Anyway, for my self preservation and survival, I do shoulder and leg stretching exercises to loosen the tightness of my muscles. To sweat it out, I do simple dance routine and encourage my husband and a few friends to join me at home every Saturday. My husband and I also do two rounds of taichi every Sunday. Despite all these, I still feel the soreness in my left body. What worries me most is my headache. I am scared. O God please spare me from any major illness. “Heal me O Lord and I will be whole. Save me Lord, and I will be safe. In you I hope.”

Growing old is such a scourge. The white hair, the thinning of the tresses, the wrinkles and all. I wasn’t even pretty when I was young. Yet I really don’t mind getting old in the manner of our physical appearances as much, as long as I am healthy and fit. O Lord please sustain me.

My husband is 78 years old. He is also trying to keep healthy. He walks a bit slow. I try to improve his gait, by nagging him about his posture and teaching him to dance. My in-laws here in Cotabato are all in their 70s and 80s too. They each have their own physical weaknesses. We are all trying to beat old age, like some maybe taking super expensive stem cell pills, etc. But in reality our only hope is for the Lord to have mercy on us. 

O Lord, do keep me and my husband strong and healthy always. I love you my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment