Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

The 47 Ronin Story

While I was in Manila last January 5-13 for my check-up, my children brought me to see this movie entitled "47 Ronin" starring Keanu Reeves. I had actually read this book long time ago. In1983, my husband and I went to Taiwan and Japan with a contingent of businessmen and their wives from Cotabato. It was our first trip abroad. Lucas used to be an avid reader and he bought this book in English translation from Toyota City as a memento from Japan. I remembered it was an interesting story about samurais and shogun but after so many years, I just completely and totally forgotten the plot. Watching the movie didn't revive my memory though. I told my children I didn't remember it being mythical or was there any half breed samurai at all. My children said it must be a cinematic ploy to attract movie goers. The movie turned out to be entertaining. It was not bad at all and it aroused my curiosity. I wanted to reread the book again. I wondered though if it was still in my bookshelves in Cotabato for I liked to throw old things away. Fortunately when I came home, I found the paperback still in good condition. It would not take much time to finish reading. It wasn't a thick volume. And despite my slow pace, I was done in one and a half day. Totally different from the movie! Well, understandably, for the book even explained that although based on real incidents, there have been many versions of the story told.

For me, even after watching the movie and reading the story "The 47 Ronin Story" by John Allyn, until now I still can not understand the honor or idea of sepuko. I do not know much about Japanese culture either. But surely, I do greatly admire their discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment